The Road Map is seen as a timely intervention to mitigate and adapt the city’s urban environment, to prepare it for the impending climate change challenges and ensure that the city’s future urban development and growth is sustainable and future-proofed for subsequent generations.
THE ROAD MAP:
- Has been prepared in alignment with international and national development frameworks, climate protocols, policies and programmes;
- Is a document that identifies and summarises the various multi-dimensional, multi-sectorial and cross-cutting interventions/ actions with numerous co-benefits that will be required over different time periods to deliver a cohesive approach to make Kolkata a climate-smart city;
- Has been prepared on the principles of inclusive growth and participatory development where the Kolkata Municipal Corporation and other state government departments and agencies would work in tandem with civil society and other private sector stakeholders;
- Would enable the city to maintain buoyant economic growth, while embracing greener options for urban development and municipal service delivery; and
- Has been prepared to promote sustainable and innovative urban practices, incorporating whenever appropriate, climate change ‘best practice’ from other Indian and international cities.